Tuesday, June 29, 2021

Step 4 - Painting and Finishing


In these videos I show how I painted my guitar body.
  • Options you can do...
    • Paint
    • Inking
    • Dip
    • Stain
      • I chose to ink the back of my guitar and stain the front and the neck area.
In this video I show how I finished my guitar.
  • Options you can do...
    • Spray (Clear Poly or Lacquer)
    • Hand (Oil Based)
      • I also chose to finish my guitar using the hand oiled process (Tru-Oil)
What skills were integral to completing this task?

  • You will need to learn the technique you picked to do.
  • Less is More (don't over paint or rush)
  • Taping is important (use proper type tape)
  • Time is important it takes time for paint and finished to dry
    • Dry to Touch is NOT Dried through (cured)
  • Multiple thin coats give you the best results

Reflective component: 
  • How could you improve this process?
    • I would make sure you have built in time / activities between coats of paint/finish
    • I would have clear samples of each type of paint or finish style
    • I found it helpful to test out the stain, inking and other methods NOT on my guitar body to check how to do procedures and what final product would look like



Prepping for Painting - How to...

Dip Paint


Ink



Stain


Sunburst


Finish






How to Paint/Polish and Make a Homemade Paint Booth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=IP3dx8a-iDA&feature=emb_logo


How to Ink Stain Guitar (Sunburst)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCgrnqACavk&t=4s


No comments:

Post a Comment

Step 16 - Finished Guitar

I completed building an economy style kit to create instructions for my students to have during virtual courses due to covid.  (I am using t...